Wednesday, October 12, 2011

Pumpkin Chip Cookies

All of my life my greatest memories involve family and food, those two things generally being combined.

Four years ago, when we were diagnosed with multiple food allergies depression set it. I didn't know what to do, in one visit with our naturalist we were told to stay away from gluten, animal dairy, corn, soy, potatoes, tomatoes, peanuts, cane sugar and artificial colors and flavors (and eggs for J). BIG shock to the system. . .and a week before my D's birthday. The cake and ice cream we had in the freezer had to be given away, we had no ideas on how to handle his birthday, or the upcoming holidays. That first year was HARD.

The last few years we have gone through a lot of changes and we are constantly being introduced to new. New foods, new companies, new ways to bake and cook for holidays and seasons.

Autumn is my favorite season, hands down. The sights, the smells, pumpkin patches, hay rides, corn mazes, hot apple cider, and pumpkin chip cookies! I got an amazing cookie recipe from an old neighbor years ago, one that many of my friends have either begged me for, or begged me to make. After some tweaking and swapping to make everything allergy friendly, here is the recipe. I hope you enjoy!



Ingredients

2/3 c. brown rice flour
1/3 c. millet flour
1/2 c. sorghum flour
1/2 c. tapioca starch
1/2 Tbsp cinnamon
1 tsp nutmeg
1 tsp ginger
1/2 tsp salt
2 tsp baking powder
1 tsp xanthan or guar gum

Mix together dry ingredients, then add in:

1 tsp baking soda dissolved in 1 tsp almond milk
1 c. fresh, creamed or canned pumpkin
1/2 c. light olive oil
1 Tbsp. vanilla
1/4 c. honey
1/4 c. molasses
1c. carob or chocolate chips
pecans for top (if you like them)


Your mix is going to be very sticky, coat your hands in some of the same oil you used in the batter and roll your dough into small balls. If using pecans, press one pecan into the top of each cookie. Bake in a 350 degree oven for 10 - 15 minutes depending on your oven.










2 comments:

  1. oh i love pumpkin and chocolate together. these look yummy! thanks for stopping by and commenting on the apple cider donuts. if you find a sub for the earth balance that you like in that recipe, let me know. I know my readers would love to her your input on any changes!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Becky, I will be giving the donuts a shot this weekend and I will for sure let you know!!

    ReplyDelete