Monday, October 10, 2011

Organization - My Twelve Step Program

I made a resolution for my 30th birthday, I've never been one to make resolutions, the whole New Years thing just seemed kinda cheesy to me, but here I am. Trying to figure out new ways to make my life a little better, a little less messy and a little easier for everyone in my life to understand.

I feel like one of the worst traits of me as a mother is my lack of being organized, the kids have an 'ish' schedule, their bed times are around 9 and 10 'ish', dinner time is 7 'ish', wake up time is 6:45 'ish'. Laundry is washed when we run out of clean clothes, and then it sits in neatly folded piles until it is worn again. The vacuuming is done much more often now that C is mobile, but I find myself doing all the work, and it still isn't done nearly enough. The boys rooms continuously look like they were hit by a hurricane, my house is full of 'good intention' half finished projects that I would LOVE to see done,  homework gets done the night before (and sometimes night after) it's due. . . the list goes on. I can't help but sit here and acknowledge that their lack of focus and organization is all.my.fault

C coming into our lives has changed quite a bit, while I was able to have both J and D on my 'ish' schedule and it worked great for all of us, C does not like an 'ish' schedule, in fact from day one this little boy has set his own schedule. He is up at 7am, his first nap is from 8:45-10:30, his second nap is from 12:30-1:45 and then his third nap is from 4:30-6. Bath time is at 7pm and bed time is 8:30. That is how it has been for his entire six months, C LIVES by his schedule, and if for some reason we are out running errands or spending time with friends or family it throws him off, and he is off and cranky for the next 2 days.

I am hoping that by taking small steps to become more organized, and having a more set schedule for myself, and my two older boys, then we can meet C somewhere in the middle on his schedule.

So I am wanting to work on one step over the next month, then if I can get this perfected myself and everyone on board, I will add in another step, thus aiming to have completed twelve steps to organization over the next twelve months. Yay for my own 12 step program. Cross your fingers for me.

Step One - Chores

For October I am putting together a helper chart for all of us, that way things like what day each person washes their clothes or who does dishes what night are in order and I can have a purpose to drive me that day. I think this will take some of the pressure off of Sam as well, as he is not used to living in 'controlled chaos'. He is more of a schedule person, he likes to know what is coming and what is expected of him, and maybe my kids do to, I guess we'll find out!

1 comment:

  1. I hear you! I have 3 rambunctious boys too (ages 4, 2, and 1). They generate a lot of chaos, but some of the chaos in our home is the result of poor organization on my part. I recently resolved to declutter our life by getting rid of everything we don't need or deeply value. It's an ongoing process, but I can see how it is already helping me take back control of our home. You can keep your fingers crossed for me too!

    ReplyDelete